Tuesday, January 21, 2014

VoiceThread in your Classroom

I am in quite a few technology-based classes this semester and it has sparked a passion within me to research some tech ideas for classrooms. I work at an elementary school which has iPads for every student in 1st through 4th grade so I have worked primarily with iPads. Recently, I have experimented with VoiceThread. I had to use the application to create an "about me" in one of my classes. The nice thing about this program is that it can be used on a computer or an iPad.


Breakdown of what VoiceThread is:
  • Upload photos to create a slideshow
  • Comment on the photos with text, voice, or video
  • Basics of VoiceThread (a short VoiceThread that explains the basics!)

Here are a few ways you can incorporate this app into the lessons in your classroom! Have your students...
  • Research a famous person, upload photos of the person, and comment by recording their voice on the information they find to create a presentation
  • Create a public service announcement about a topic that applies to their life (playground kindness, bullying, recycling, etc.)
  • Personal narratives with photos of themselves (transform their writing into voice recordings over the photos)
  • Find pictures of animals, research, and speak from the animals perspective

As with most technology, there are downfalls...
  • With a free account you can only create 5 VoiceThreads and cannot delete VoiceThreads once they are created.
  • Not useable without an email... BUT there's a way around it!
    • Go to "register"
    • Use first name and last initial as 'name' (i.e. I would use jennyk) - feel free to add numbers if you need to!
    • Use the same phrase as you did in the name section plus @mailcatch.com (i.e. I would use jennyk@mailcatch.com)
    • Use whatever password you desire

I hope I have convinced you to use this app in your classroom! Feel free to comment with any other ways you've incorporated, I love to hear new ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment