Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Live and Learn

As teachers, we plan. We plan units, lessons, days, weeks, and even the whole year at a glance. You can plan all you want, but unless you can tell the future, you will never know how your students will react to a lesson. A lesson never happens exactly how you imagine it; good or bad. That is why we have to be flexible and learn from our mistakes.

This semester I have to do a 24 hour classroom experience for one of my technology classes. I am so excited to teach some lessons and learn from my cooperating teacher. I created a lesson using the app called Toontastic and taught it last week to a group of 2nd graders. I was so excited!

[Retrieved from: http://cdn-images.launchpadtoys.com/lpt/toontastic/promo-page/lead-screen/4.jpg]

It did not go as planned, to say the least. I was really disappointed at first, but then I realized that i had learned so much. I knew what to fix next time to make it a perfect lesson. Toontastic is an iPad app that allows students to create their own settings, characters, and storyline; and then voice over to create a digital story. I would highly recommend creating a story yourself using the app before teaching this lesson. It is very user friendly and talks you through the steps!

[Retrieved from http://teachertechguy.edublogs.org/2012/03/27/toontastic/]

I would recommend spreading a lesson like this out over at least a week; unfortunately I couldn't do that since I do not have my own classroom yet. Here's a breakdown of the lesson outline:
  1. Discuss as a class what it means to "think in your head."
  2. Ask students to close their eyes and think of their favorite story.
  3. Ask them:
          What happens?
          Who is in the story?
          What do they do?
          How does it end?
  4. Discuss the parts of a story and make a list on a board/poster. In the app, they use specific terms which you may need to teach your students (set-up, conflict, climax, challenge, resolution)
  5. Show your students an example story that you create on the draft forms.
  6. Build a story using Toontastic with them so they can see how it works.
A rough draft is key for the students to really plan out their stories and not just play with the app. I created a draft packet for the students. Check out my store on Teachers Pay Teachers to find the rough draft packet! It is a simple format for students to use to map out their story.

Try it out, your students will be very engaged and excited to use their creativity!

This tool can be found in the App Store on the iPads. They also have a website which provides support, resources, and FAQ concerning the tool. It is available only on iPads, iPhones, or iPods. Another classroom idea to use this app would be to have your students recreate a story line they have read. They can then discuss the similarities and differences between their version and the original version.

No comments:

Post a Comment